TPR to begin auto enrolment spot checks on Birmingham employers
The Pensions Regulator has announced that they are carrying out Auto Enrolment spot checks on Birmingham employers as part of the nationwide enforcement campaign.
Following on from the The Pensions Regulator announcement released on Friday 16th June – as part of the nationwide campaign which began in London, and then Manchester – TPR is to begin AE spot checks on Birmingham employers to ensure businesses are complying with the auto enrolment workplace pensions law.
Dozens of Birmingham businesses around the city will be checked, to see if qualifying staff have been enrolled correctly to receive the workplace pensions that they are entitled to.
Birmingham will be the third city to receive these short-notice inspections, where TPR will also take feedback from employers as to how they can improve current systems.
Darren Ryder, TPR’s Acting Director of Automatic Enrolment, said:
“The vast majority of employers become compliant ahead of their deadline but these visits help us to identify why some have not, so we can take action where we need to.”
In the following weeks to the Birmingham AE spot checks, other cities around the UK will then undergo the same enforcement campaign.
You may also like to watch the latest bira pensions webinar on Auto enrolment, recorded and available to view now.
The Auto Enrolment Webinar covers:
- Understanding the importance of Pay Reference Periods and how to create and upload this
- Which data file you need to upload (either direct from payroll or created manually)
- When you need to upload your first data file and how to do this
- Importance of uploading data files every pay reference period
- How to ensure that all the statutory communications are issued within the prescribed timescales
- How employees achieve membership of the pension scheme
- Processing opt ins, opt outs and leavers
- Paying contributions
- Management and Regulatory reports