Contact us | Membership Enquiries 0800 028 0245 | Search

Visiting the EU

To visit Europe after Brexit there are things you may need to do before your travel.

A Brexit deal has been agreed in principle with the EU. Both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign the withdrawal agreement. If the withdrawal agreement is not signed by the UK and the EU, the UK could still leave with no deal. Find out what you, your family, or your business need to do if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

To travel to Europe after Brexit there are things you need to do before you travel. Check your passport is valid for travel to Europe using the GOV.UK passport checker, get travel insurance that provides health cover in Europe, check you have the right driving documents and arrange pet travel with your vet at least 4 months before you travel. Here, we’ve compiled information to guide you through these changes.

This guidance is subject to change at any time, so please bookmark this page and take a look at it regularly for updates. Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter to receive regular Brexit updates straight to your inbox.

UK passport holders travelling to most European countries
In the event of a no-deal Brexit, there will be changes to travel in the EU. British passport holders travelling to the EU will need to have six months remaining validity on their passport and must not have a passport that is over 10 years old. Check your passport to see if you need to renew earlier than planned.
You can check the validity of your passport and find out more on the passport checker.

Check the validity of your passport

Travel Insurance
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may not be valid after Brexit. You should make sure your travel insurance covers all your healthcare needs.
Whether there’s a deal or not, when taking out a travel insurance policy you should check:

  • you have the right policy for your needs, not just the cheapest
  • the level of healthcare cover it includes
  • the travel disruption cover it provides
  • the terms and conditions
  • if it covers all destinations and activities

View more information on choosing your travel insurance

Driving in the EU
If you are driving your own vehicle or a hire vehicle in the EU in a no-deal scenario, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) and a Motor Insurance Green Card to continue to drive. IDPs are available from the Post Office for £5.50. To obtain a Motor Insurance Green Card, contact your vehicle insurer one month prior to your trip.

Your guide to driving in the EU

Pet travel to the EU after Brexit
To make sure you can travel with your pet after Brexit, you should start to prepare at least four months before your travel date by visiting your vet for advice.
In a No Deal, current EU pet passports issued in the UK will not be valid for entry to the EU. Pet owners need to complete the following steps before travel:
  • Get your pet microchipped
  • Ensure your pet’s rabies vaccination is up to date
  • Allow at least 30 days after your pet’s last rabies vaccination before returning to a vet for a blood test to check it’s worked
  • Wait three calendar months after a successful blood test before travel
  • Return to a vet within ten days of travel for an animal health certificate

If your pet’s vaccinations are kept up to date you won’t need to repeat the blood test for each journey.

Prepare for changes in Pet Travel

Sign up to our award-winning newsletter to receive tangible advice and insights, delivered to your inbox every fortnight.