Contact us | Membership Enquiries 0800 028 0245 | Search

Talking to your local authorities

Get help with your Business Rates

You may be able to receive support with your Business Rates during the Coronavirus outbreak. Take a look at the information below to see if you can get a discount from your local council or whether you may be eligible for one or more business rates relief schemes.

Business Rates & Hardship Fund

Your local authorities are those responsible for the administration of business rates. 

The government has announced that they will introduce a business rates holiday for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England for the 2020 to 2021 tax year. 

Businesses that received the retail discount in the 2019 to 2020 tax year will be rebilled by their local authority as soon as possible. 

You are eligible for the business rates holiday if your business is based in England and your business is in the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector. Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are wholly or mainly being used: 

  • as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues 
  • for assembly and leisure 
  • as hotels, guest & boarding premises and self-catering accommodation 
What do I need to do?

If eligible, there is no action for you. This will apply to your next council tax bill in April 2020. However, local authorities may have to reissue your bill automatically to exclude the business rate charge. They will do this as soon as possible. 

If you do have any questions, you should contact your local authority.  

Based in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?

Click on the relevant links below to see the business rates help your governments are offering. 

Northern Ireland: 

Hardship Fund 

If you think you may need financial support from your Local Authority in England, you may be entitled to support from the £500 million Hardship Fund: 

  • most of this funding will be used to provide more Council Tax relief, either through existing Local Council Tax Support schemes, or through similar measures. 
  • the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) will set out more detail on this funding, including allocations, shortly 
  • if you have any questions, you should contact your Local Authority 

< Coronavirus Hub

Bira Advert