In this Section:
Date: Mon 10 Aug - Sun 16 Aug
#ShopLocal week is being run by the UK Government starting on Monday 10th August and running for one week as of the Summer-long #EnjoySummerSafely campaign.
The #ShopLocal campaign aims to celebrate the British high street so we’re encouraging customers to come back to their safe local shops, supporting the local economy and local jobs.
How can retailers get involved?
No one is better placed than local small businesses to explain what’s special about shopping locally. What can your business offer to customers that they cannot get elsewhere? What makes the customer experience in your store unique and different to what they get online? You know your customers best so help by sparking a conversation about the benefits in your area.
We’d love it if you could:
- Use your social media accounts to join the conversation, telling us why your community should shop local, using #ShopLocal, to help encourage customers back to the shops. The more personalised to your community, the better.
- Post photos, gifs, videos, Boomerangs [on Instagram] that illustrate your key messages. For example, a photo with your staff; an Instagram Story showing off some local produce; or maybe a short video showing how you’ve made your shop safe. Don’t forget to tag @bira_official and @BEISgovuk so we can all repost (more handles for different platforms below).
- Share this page with other businesses in your area to help them do the same.
Example posts for businesses:
- By shopping here, you are supporting the community – we employ local staff and it helps our local suppliers too! #ShopLocal @BEISgovuk @bira_official
- Our products are locally grown/sourced. #ShopLocal with us for personal recommendations – pop in store to find out more. @BEISgovuk @bira_official
- Our customers #ShopLocal because we all know each other so well – we’ve been here for X years and helped customers from multiple generations. We can help everyone from kids to teenagers to parents to grannies! @BEISgovuk @bira_official
- We’re a brand new business, but we’re really excited about bringing something this area’s never seen before. It’s great to be part of #ShopLocal week @BEISgovuk @bira_official
- We’ve done a lot to keep our business safe, including hand sanitiser, signs, oneway systems and extra cleaning – we are COVID-secure and ready for the summer – pop down the road to see our summer stock today. #EnjoySummerSafely #ShopLocal @BEISgovuk @bira_official
Download the full toolkit below