Opening a new door in Lisburn
WHEN ROAD IMPROVEMENTS meant customers could no longer drive up to the front door of the Smyth Patterson department store in Lisburn, Northern Ireland, the company decided to create a new entrance at the rear.
Work was started in July and the new entrance is scheduled to be finished before Christmas. The scheme also includes a customer car park and a block of 28 apartments for a housing association.
Managing director Colin Patterson explained: “The rear of our premises was in a very poor state of repair and was used mainly as a goods entrance, although the public used it too. For years we have known we would have to develop it someday. A few years ago the improvement scheme made the town centre look much nicer, but prevented cars getting to our front door and some of our less able customers were not able to walk the extra distance necessary. This spurred us on with our development. After two years of planning, it has been a challenging time but we are looking forward to a much improved and more accessible shop.”
The business began in 1926 when Smyth Patterson started selling farm produce in Belfast markets. He bought premises on Market Square, Lisburn in 1936, which his sons, Harold and Hubert, developed as a department store in the 1950s. Colin is Hubert’s son.