Making your business safe in bad weather
Slips and trips at this time of the year are regarded by some as an ‘accident ATM’ – a means of drawing out cash from local business!
These simple, effective steps can take care of your customers whilst looking after your business reputation and bank balance during bad weather.
- Keep floors dry. A welcome mat at the front door to encourage customers to wipe their feet before entering. “Wet floor” signs work too.
- An umbrella stand near the front door encourages customers to drop off their brolly instead of carrying it around, potentially wetting the floor and damaging your stock with the wet fabric.
- Make repairs where floors and stairways have become uneven, tiles chipped, or carpets frayed.
- Clearing gutters prevents overflow, damp and a dangerous ice rink developing on the surface below!
- Include handrails on stairways – when stairs are wet people tend to rely more on a sturdy handrail.
- Make certain that approved quality fire doors are fitted and that passageways are free from obstacles. Emergency exits must not be blocked – or locked!
- Freezing burst pipes are common and amongst the most expensive insurance claims made during the chilly months. Inspect the lagging on pipes and tanks to prevent them from freezing. Keeping the heating on low, to prevent freezing, is a lot less costly than dealing with the consequences of thousands of gallons of water pouring through your premises.
Simple solutions make for sensible risk management
In addition to helping to keep your business safe during bad weather, Bira members will soon have access to policies to cover their homes from Bira Insurance as well. Details coming soon.
Find out more about Bira Insurance
Looking after business, taking care of people.
If you have any questions, please call Towergate on 0330 123 5939 and talk to the Bira Insurance team.
This is a marketing article provided by Bira Insurance.
British Independent Retailers Association (Bira) are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Towergate Underwriting Group Limited. Bira Insurance is a trading name of Towergate Underwriting Group Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Address: 1 Minster Court, Mincing Lane, London, EC3R AA, United Kingdom. Registered in England with company number 4043759. www.towergate.com/fair-processing-notice