The Distributor Take-back Scheme (DTS) is operated by Valpak Retail WEEE Services (VRWS) and allows members an exemption from the in store take back requirement of the WEEE regulations when a new equivalent piece of EEE is purchased. The DTS is the only scheme which allows members an alternative to offering take back for all WEEE categories (except for PV panels). There is a separate scheme which covers PV panels.
VRWS’s proposal to continue to coordinate DTS in Phase 4 was approved by both the British Retail Consortium (BRC) and by DEFRA. The current phase of the scheme started in January 2017 and the DTS website is now open for registrations.
Bira members are able to enjoy preferential rates when you renew your DTS registration.
We can confirm that:
- The scheme will be in operation for 3 years starting 01/01/2017 and running until 31/12/2019
- When you register you will be required to provide information on your electrical equipment sales for the 2015 calendar year
- The fees for Band A, B and C scheme members have remained the same as those in phase 3. You can refer to the DTS website for more information on what you can expect to pay
- Band A members will again be required to pay a per unit fee set at the same rates as in phase 3
- Funds raised will continue to be used to support Local Authority projects with the aim to increase WEEE collections. There will be processes in place to monitor the benefit achieved
Register for the Phase 4 scheme today
Bira members can log in to the website to register online
If you’re already a Bira member, log in to the website to access the Phase 4 registration form and other member benefits.
If you’re not currently a Bira member, but you are interested in preferential member benefits, find out more by joining us today.